Home arrow Survivor Forums

Panic Survivor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 443

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 979

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::getEmoticons() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 37
ptsd and panic attacks
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: ptsd and panic attacks

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
AKVET_84 (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
ptsd and panic attacks 2 Years, 10 Months ago  
I was in iraq and have been diagnosed with ptsd. I never felt like I did have it, but I never really looked from the outside before and mostly because how I was, was very much like everyone else in my unit. Heavy drinking at all hours of the day (it wasn't until I got out I realized that drinking whiskey at 10am on a saturday was not the norm for most), fighting, wanting to be alone and getting angry easily was the norm. After I've gotten out its gone from bad to ok and back and forth. Recently in the past few years I started having panic attacks. They started before my daughter was to be born. I thought I was having a heart attack and I had 911 predialed as I sat down. Once it passed I went in tot he va and they did ekg, the whole battery and said it wasn't cardiac but never mentioned panic attacks. I didn't even know what it was until years later when they happened more frequently and they got bad last year. My wife had me go and camp for a weekend by myself to revamp before my son was born last year. They come and go now, but a pain in the butt. I also have issues with a short temper and wanting to be alone. I would rather be alone in my house than even with my family most of the time. The va is no help. I don't want to harm myself or anything. I just want to be alone, go out into nature and just be. Its hard on the family at times but the kids bring me through that

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
draydon (User)
graphgraph
Re:ptsd and panic attacks 2 Years, 10 Months ago  
Hi AKVET_84, I just wanted to say I've been there. Being in the military and getting back from a tour and out of the blue a panic attack is triggered. I had no idea what it was either and went straight to the hospital. Same thing the battery of tests just to find out it was a panic attack. It took years as you can read from my blogs to seek help through the military. There have been leaps and bounds made with PTSD in the military and the mentality of just suck it up is going away. Help is available as you probably know and finding a Dr/Pychotherapist to help you is the key IMO to the road for success. Another good option is there are many groups out there for Operational Stress Injuries where you can go and just talk to others in similar boats. Time away from others can be relaxing and a stress relief at times but when you start becoming more and more distant then that's a point of concern. Another point is there is usually a family support network available as well so your family can learn and understand what you are going through. If you're unsure where to start I'm sure the unit padre would be a good start.

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

tsuki (Admin)
Administrator
graphgraph
Re:ptsd and panic attacks 2 Years, 10 Months ago  
Welcome AKVET, I'm glad draydon could respond to you as a returning Vet himself with suggestions for finding help and support. It's unfortunate that the VA system is as it is. If help is not available there and you are currently employed with medical benefits, please seek help through the private sector as soon as possible. Living with PTSD is difficult for both you and your family and you're fortunate to have a very understanding and loving wife.

I'm also diagnosed with PTSD although I've been living a quiet "normal" life now. I'm also a recovering alcoholic and former agoraphobic. Talk and Dream Therapy helped me understand my anger and hostilities and Behavioral Therapy helped to bring me back from isolation and quelled the rage. It was not easy nor quick but it was worth the time and sweat.

We don't have to live alone with the horrors of PTSD. You can private message draydon or anyone here directly or keep posting and blogging. We understand and are here as an additional means of support. Keep coming back as we care about you.

Logged Logged

Go to top

SHOUT!

Latest Message: 1 year, 9 months ago
  • tsuki : Welcome Steve, I have sent you a private message. Hope your day is going well Smile
  • Steve G : Can someone please tell me how to post a blog?
  • tsuki : Welcome to PS, Anara Smile
  • tsuki : Yes, sorry sad
  • Pro42 : Blogs are still down I see sad
  • tsuki : Thanks Draydon, Happy New Year to you too!
  • draydon : Happy New Year everyone!
  • tsuki : Enjoy the season!  May it be stress-free Smile
  • tsuki : I hope everyone had a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving celebration Smile
  • tsuki : Welcome Glitter! Sorry no one was here to chat.
Please Login to shout..

Who's Online

No Members Online.
Monday, 20 November 2017