Home arrow Survivor Forums

Panic Survivor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 443

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 979

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::getEmoticons() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 37
Food Phobias...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Food Phobias...

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
PeacefulThoughts (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Food Phobias... 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
Hello new friends. I have read a little about food phobias, but I can never find anyone who has the same/similar symptoms that I have. I do not have trouble swallowing, as some people have. Although, there are some foods that I have avoided for so many years that I am not sure if I could swallow them or not. (pasta-especially spaghetti, meat).

My issue is that I get a wave of panic and dread after I eat certain foods. I do stay away from the foods after that, which has me down to just bananas, unpasteurized orange juice, grapes, avocado, watermelon, and various lettuces. Although there are times when I am afraid of them.

I sometimes do eat the foods that cause this anxiety. I eat seaweed because I think MAYBE be anxiety comes from hypothyroidism (just a guess), but the seaweed most often leaves me with a wave of fear after I eat it.

It's like sometimes my logical brain is in control before I eat it, then afterwards I second guess myself.

My symptoms are a feeling that my throat is closing (but not while I am eating, so it doesn't prevent me from swallowing), inability to breath properly, what feels like fever, electric waves of fear, sometimes lightheadedness.

Basically, my fear of food is that it will cause an allergic reaction and I will not be able to breathe, that it will poison me (only recently, and it was canned food), or that I will have a heart attack.

I am sooooo tired of it!

Anyone have these symptoms?

There's a bit of a Catch-22, because I am also very afraid of meds, so I do not want to get on anti-anxiety medication.

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
texasangel2006 (User)
Newbie Survivor
graphgraph
Re:Food Phobias... 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
lol this isnt helpful at all my food issue is lack of eatin in my slump times, but Dr Phil had this very issue on his show today. i dont know if u can go on his site n review todays episode like some shows or not.

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

prncessem (User)
Contributing Survivor
graphgraph
Re:Food Phobias... 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
PeacefulThoughts...you are not alone. What you described is almost exactly what I go through sometimes:

"My symptoms are a feeling that my throat is closing (but not while I am eating, so it doesn't prevent me from swallowing), inability to breath properly, what feels like fever, electric waves of fear, sometimes lightheadedness.

Basically, my fear of food is that it will cause an allergic reaction and I will not be able to breathe, that it will poison me..."

The above quote is from your original post. I do the same thing. I can eat fine, but after I swallow, I worry about an allergic reaction and that its going to make my throat swell shut. This doesn't happen everytime I eat and I don't avoid certain foods, but sometimes this thought does occur to me and it can throw me into a panic. It is a VERY scary feeling to feel like your throat is swelling and that you can't swallow or breathe very well. I very much empathize with you on that. I was surprised to see your post b/c when I explain my symptoms to my therapist she doesn't really get it and states that she hasn't really heard of it before. She says I have a phobia of choking, but I don't really think its that.

I'm sure that like me, and all anxiety sypmtoms, you do not have any food allergies and you've probably never seriously choked on anything. Again, like all anxiety issues that we are all afraid of, they are irrational. You HAVE to keep reminding yourself of that. Just earlier today I started having the chokey feeling, but alas, I hadn't just eaten anything and I know that my throat isn't going to spontaneously swell shut....thus, anxiety! My allergies are acting up and the post nasal drip really exacerbates the choking feeling with constantly having phlegm in the back of my throat.

I do suggest that you find a good therapist to talk to...it helps to have someone on the outside of your situation to talk to. Also, I would strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor and attempt to try some medication. It can and does help tremendously. Taking medications does not make you weak or a failure...its taking the reigns on your situation and actively seeking a solution to your problem! Hang in there!

Logged Logged

Go to top

SHOUT!

Latest Message: 1 year, 9 months ago
  • tsuki : Welcome Steve, I have sent you a private message. Hope your day is going well Smile
  • Steve G : Can someone please tell me how to post a blog?
  • tsuki : Welcome to PS, Anara Smile
  • tsuki : Yes, sorry sad
  • Pro42 : Blogs are still down I see sad
  • tsuki : Thanks Draydon, Happy New Year to you too!
  • draydon : Happy New Year everyone!
  • tsuki : Enjoy the season!  May it be stress-free Smile
  • tsuki : I hope everyone had a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving celebration Smile
  • tsuki : Welcome Glitter! Sorry no one was here to chat.
Please Login to shout..

Who's Online

No Members Online.
Monday, 20 November 2017