Home arrow Survivor Forums

Panic Survivor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 443

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 979

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::getEmoticons() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 37
In search of advice - LONG
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: In search of advice - LONG

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
Will1988 (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
In search of advice - LONG 3 Years, 4 Months ago  
Drat I wrote this whole long spiel about why I'm here and I hit the back button and it all went down the drain.

Hello all, my name is William or Will - whichever is fine by me - and as you can see I am new to the forum. I'm actually not a big forum guy period, so I'm new to forums in general. So bear with me a little bit as I regal you with my tale as to why I am here.

I am in need of advice, suggestions, moral support, and in need of getting this off of my chest.

Anyway, to sum it in a probably more succinct manner...

For the past 8 or so months I have been experiencing something that I can only describe as terrifying. I suffer from frequent bouts of heart palpitations. These range from the extreme which can feel like I am having a full blown heart attack with shooting pain in the center of my chest that radiates outwards in all directions, to just odd heaviness and tightness feelings, to being able to feel and hear my own heart beat for sometimes hours on end. As I am typing this for the past four hours I have been feeling a weird heavy once every few minutes squeezing sensation so deep in the center of my chest that I feel it closer to my back between the shoulder blades than I do the front of my chest.

You all are probably thinking "Hey bozo go to the ER right away!", and 9.9 times out of 10 I would agree with you. HOWEVER, I have been to the ER no less than 3 times for these incidents. They have run the whole gauntlet of tests ranging from Stress Test, to ECK/EKG, multiple chest xrays, blood work etc... I even went and saw a Cardiologist half a dozen times and they ran the same ER tests plus an ultra sound type thing and hooked me up to an event monitor which I had strapped to my chest for two weeks. And they all say my heart is perfectly fine, it is normal... So they were at a loss to what is causing my -what I have dubbed- 'heart palpitations'. It is nice to know the doctors don't think I'm going to die of a heart attack at such a young age, but the symptoms still come back...

and when the symptoms come back I start dwelling on it. obsessing about it. I then keep checking Mayo Clinic and WebMD and comparing all of my symptoms...and of course those sites say I'm pretty much having a heart attack or a Panic Attack. No sh!t I'm having a panic attack. The problem is from where I'm standing my panic attack is brought on because I have these weird feelings in my heart and feel like that I might die at the ripe old age of 25... not the other way around. I am sure the panic attacks help prolong the issue and make things worse though. I mean sometimes when I have these feelings I try to brush it off like right now and say "William you are fine, you are having a heart palpitation, probably because of school and work.Try to calm down." but they still keep coming and I still dwell on it. And other times when it is more severe or catches me fully unawares, then I feel complete and utter terror. I think I am going to die. That is probably my biggest fear is dying young, dying in general, and what lies beyond (if anything at all)! and it scares me to the core. Oftentimes this feeling last for hours. And oftentimes while I'm thinking these things I am having more palpitations so the whole thing snow balls out of control to the point where I feel like I am going to lose my mind.

I mean I can't go to the ER every time I have an episode. If I did I would be 10s of thousands of dollars in debt, all to hear the ER doctor and my Cardiologist to tell me "William you are fine". My regular doctor gave me some low level generic xanax but that doesn't really work to calm me down, and if anything the first few times I took it I felt my heart rate go up. My Cardiologist and general physician said that most likely the heart palpitations are caused by stress. I mean I do work a full time decent but boring white collar job and then go to school at night. But I am an easy going guy and find that it takes a lot to fully stress me out or frustrate me and I've always been one to find time to decompress. So I don't know what is causing this, but all I know is it causes me to obsess about my heart and death, and makes me feel like a crazy person...

Any advice and or help is most welcome

P.S. I'm 25 years old, I work full time, i go to school half time at night. I am getting married soon, but it is an easy low budget operation. I generally have a good life and can manage my stress, I think. However, I was a heavy smoker for about eight years until this past Christmas when I quit cold turkey after having a near death case of Pneumonia. I also used to be a heavy coffee and energy drink abuser, until I first started having these palpitations (a few months before I quit smoking) so I cut those I'm not a heavy drinker, maybe a few beers one night a week. I am obese, just think of a linebackers build and you get the picture - so brawny fat. Lastly, I've never done drugs. So the normal things one could look for as causes for these palpitations are kind of null.

Sorry if this is TMI. I like honesty, so please don't sugar coat anything to spare me my feelings - I'm a big boy with thick skin. ha.

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
tsuki (Admin)
Administrator
graphgraph
Re:In search of advice - LONG 3 Years, 4 Months ago  
Hi Will, don't worry not TMI. No judgements here, just honesty and support Sorry you're having a rough time.

Your post reads typically of what most of us have gone through and/or are experiencing this very minute. Since your Drs. and tests find you in good health, and since we're not physicians here, we can only assume that you are a survivor of anxiety. As you can read here, anxiety manifests itself in many different ways, most often accompanied by panic. When we know this, the next step would be to seek a referral to a qualified Psychiatrist and therapist.

Another thing that helps tremendously is to desist from researching the various medical/health site on the internet. Doing so can further exacerbate your symptoms when you contemplate other causes.

Many of us have found different routes to finding relief from our symptoms including relaxation methods, exercise, diet changes, religion and inspiration reading, alternative medicine, literature and workbooks, etc. As the aforementioned methods can help in building coping skills, therapy and good optional meds treatment is important to finding the root of your anxiety. Panic strikes out of the blue regardless of our emotional wellness. Finding the basis of our anxiety and triggers to our anxiety is the key to wellness.

I urge you to read the many posts and blogs, including advice and comments by our members here. This will help you with your questions and you will find that you are not alone in your experiences. As you build your own support within family and friends, you'll find that give-and-take sharing with fellow survivors can be an important added support.

Let me share that I have experienced all that you have and finding this forum of support has helped me tremendously. I have a long past with anxiety and have a confirmed diagnoses of bi-polarism. I now live a healthy, happy life using all the coping skills mentioned above. After extensive therapy, I follow-up as needed. I live without meds now.

I hope you find our site helpful in your battle against anxiety. Keep posting and begin blogging, when ready, for additional member support. I am open to private messaging if you need also. You've accomplished a lot in your short 25 years and I congratulate you on your upcoming marriage. Thank you for sharing your experiences as it helps others experiencing the same. I wish you good health and happiness and hope to read more from you soon. Let us know how you're doing as you progress . . . hugs

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

CaptainOvaltine (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
Re:In search of advice - LONG 3 Years, 1 Month ago  
Hey Bro-
I have had the same sensations. The Same ones- and they cause me some extra anxiety when they occur for any duration. I have been fortunate to not have any ill feelings recently, except the emergence of the very rare migraine, which is not fun either.

I used to get sharp pains and squeezing in my heart and pains in very specific places in my guts... I was about your age, this was only about 3-4yrs ago for me. I used to drink a lot (for me), maybe 6-12 beers a night if I could, for 5+ years. I also smoked blunts for a couple years off and on- enough to make me say "I gotta stop smoking tobacco, fool!"... At the time I ate alot and sat alot, compared to other times in my life.

I have been around 200lbs most of my life although I have also walk 3-5mi a day with a 15-20lb pack at least- for my whole life, I have never had a car... My BMI is stupid cause I'm "stout" , I have more muscles than my height and weight can tell my doc about.
"TMI dude!" lol "WTF?"

I say for health specifics, dawgy.
But... I stopped Drinking a year ago, and I stopped eating meat as well. I dont smoke blunts NEARLY a much either, and I never drank energy drinks per say- I DO drink a lot of coffee (4+ cups a day).
I kinda stopped eating as much as I did - but thats a symptom of my lifestyle I went over just now in the new member post I made...
I really have never felt better. Dunno if it is after months of not eating meat/not drinking/ smoking tobacco...

-BUT, BUT, BUT... -
WHEN I SMOKE WEED (which I dont smoke often enough to have a "tolerance" for) - I can get "Short of Breath" and THAT can make me feel almost like i used to get out of the blue.

So I would say, If you aren't smoking herb, and docs dont want to fix you when they look at you - try some small stuff.
If Blood Pressure is a concern, there might be a small change in diet or even an addition to your diet that can help. I say start small cause we really dont think to do that- we just want results these days.

I feel like a bunch of discomfort comes from imbalances in our activity, how we treat and use our bodies. I did what made me feel good and I have had success, and WITH the good stuff Tsuki suggests about Meditation and Relaxation - there can be some major results in my experience. Meditation if you aren't familiar- is just thinking and relaxing, two things that take TIME - and TIME is the key - we cant give ourselves the time we need when life gets up to speed, and that time can truly help.

BIG UP DUDE! All My Very Best Wishes, as a Guy who has spent years with the same discomfort- I Wish You Luck and Relief from that Crap!
PEACE!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/10/05 18:37 By
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaTools::whoisID() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 316
CaptainOvaltine.
Go to top

SHOUT!

Latest Message: 1 year, 9 months ago
  • tsuki : Welcome Steve, I have sent you a private message. Hope your day is going well Smile
  • Steve G : Can someone please tell me how to post a blog?
  • tsuki : Welcome to PS, Anara Smile
  • tsuki : Yes, sorry sad
  • Pro42 : Blogs are still down I see sad
  • tsuki : Thanks Draydon, Happy New Year to you too!
  • draydon : Happy New Year everyone!
  • tsuki : Enjoy the season!  May it be stress-free Smile
  • tsuki : I hope everyone had a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving celebration Smile
  • tsuki : Welcome Glitter! Sorry no one was here to chat.
Please Login to shout..

Who's Online

No Members Online.
Tuesday, 21 November 2017