Home arrow Survivor Forums

Panic Survivor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 443

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 979

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::getEmoticons() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 37
Need Book Recommendations
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need Book Recommendations

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
stix2702 (User)
Newbie Survivor
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need Book Recommendations 3 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hey All! I am ultimately convinced that my father-in-law is dealing with anxiety but he is SO stubborn and will NOT come to terms with this!!! He constantly thinks something is wrong with him medically and that the doctors just can't find anything. This is ruining his life. Some past about me-I'm a veteran panic survivor (well, I'm only 32 but I joined this site about 9 years ago) and through a bunch of different methods I have learned, for the most part, on how to control my anxiety and also have come to terms with it all. However no matter how many times I try to explain this to my FIL he doesn't listen! Does anyone have any good book recommendations for him? Something that deals with middle-aged men, stubborn, old school men?! LOL thanks group!

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
tsuki (Admin)
Administrator
graphgraph
Re:Need Book Recommendations 3 Years, 8 Months ago  
Welcome back! Wish I could help, but I don't know of any literature dealing with the specific topic of anxiety in middle-aged men. Google the topic and you may get info that you can print out. There are textbooks for practitioners that deal with onset of anxiety in middle-aged adults of both genders.

Maybe he needs to hear from a trusted Dr. or friend. Would your wife be able to speak about the matter with her father instead? Or MIL or your wife's other siblings. Maybe a family meeting to discuss the matter is warranted. In any case, good luck . . . I, for one, have dealt with stubborn middle-aged men of my own. No easy task

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

CaptainOvaltine (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
Re:Need Book Recommendations 3 Years, 1 Month ago  
I too have been looking for books from time to time...
but I also probably wouldn't read it if someone is telling me what my problem is... Maybe thats why folks dont really seem to right books about it?
It hasn't stopped authors before, look at Cheryl Strayed - Now the whole nation thinks "backpacking" means "The WHOLE Pacific Crest Trail" (Facepalm)...

I would Recommend Jack Kornfield to Anyone dealing with the "Serious Thinking about Life and How to Live it" side of things...
I read "After the Ecstasy the Laundry" and I enjoyed it.
I couldn't relate to every story in it (he writes a lot himself and contributes stories from people he has known over the years) but his writing bridges the gaps pretty well. Its worth reading imo - maybe even just to chew on some of the things he shares in it.
I have not read any of his other works but I hear they have to do with much the same type of psychological big picture stuff.

Hope It Helps!

Logged Logged

Go to top

SHOUT!

Latest Message: 1 year, 9 months ago
  • tsuki : Welcome Steve, I have sent you a private message. Hope your day is going well Smile
  • Steve G : Can someone please tell me how to post a blog?
  • tsuki : Welcome to PS, Anara Smile
  • tsuki : Yes, sorry sad
  • Pro42 : Blogs are still down I see sad
  • tsuki : Thanks Draydon, Happy New Year to you too!
  • draydon : Happy New Year everyone!
  • tsuki : Enjoy the season!  May it be stress-free Smile
  • tsuki : I hope everyone had a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving celebration Smile
  • tsuki : Welcome Glitter! Sorry no one was here to chat.
Please Login to shout..

Who's Online

No Members Online.
Tuesday, 21 November 2017