Home arrow Survivor Forums

Panic Survivor Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 443

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 979

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::getEmoticons() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 37
Fear of eating in Restaurants
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Fear of eating in Restaurants

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
Mike777 (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Fear of eating in Restaurants 4 Years, 11 Months ago  
For whatever reason, I have been dealing with increased Anxiety in eating restaurants. I am ok in the car but as soon as we order, I get all nervous and then when we get our food I my mind starts thinking of a million things and I cannot eat. I try to focus on the food but Its like I can't chew my food. Its almost like I don't know how to eat. Has anyone experienced this type of anxiety? How do you classify it?

What can I do to overcome this fear? As soon as we leave the restaurant, I take my food with me and eat it with no problem at home.

I am on lorazepam 2 meg a day and slowly tapering off as I think it is causing me to be more zombie like and I feel it increases my anxiety. My doctor told me how to slowly go off it so I am now down to 1.5 a day.

Any help or way to cope with the eating in restaurants is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::fbHtmlSafe() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 947

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileReplace() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 954

Strict Standards: Non-static method smile::smileParserCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/lib/kunena.parser.php on line 139
concernedmom (User)
graphgraph
Re:Fear of eating in Restaurants 4 Years, 11 Months ago  
Fears can be in many forms and shape.
I read here before about people disliking going to restaurants for many reasons.

Have you tried identifying possible roots?

Maybe: from school cafeteria and some unpleasant memories from that time?
Or: can it have anything to do with your weight?
Or: unfairness that was coming from your parents when siblings shared the food.
Some people are having pitiful feeling toward poor and their starving and aren't feeling comfortable eating in front of others.
When you say fear, can you at least address fear from what or of what: fear from people or fear to not choke on food.
Also:is it more fear or maybe some sort of shame?
Once you are able to give it a right definition, it will be way easier to work toward overcoming the cause to it.
Since cause is always larger than triger, which in your case is eating in reastaurant.

Logged Logged
Strict Standards: Non-static method CKunenaLink::GetMessageIPLink() should not be called statically in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/message.php on line 303

Mike777 (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
Thanks for your reply. I think the fear is that I am going to choke or have a heart attack or think people are watching me. I get all tensed up and then can't eat. When I leave the restaurant I am ok.

Also.. having problems now because my wife is at he wits end and feels she can't go anywhere because of my anxiety. She actually gets angry with me and it is causing fiction on our marriage. It's like a no win situation.

Right now I am tapering off Lorazepam and hopefully things will go better.

Thanks
Mike

Logged Logged

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/panicsur/public_html/components/com_kunena/template/default/view.php on line 525

concernedmom (User)
graphgraph
shine.yahoo.com/financially-fit/lessons-...kates-170600591.html

First, try to locate this page on web and read how others are completely different from you, and they don't care a damn thing about being the way they are.
If possible, can you look for the table in very corner, and you sit with your back turned, so you sort of get out of everybody's sight.
To assure you: I don't think people really pay any attention to others around them sitting and or eating in restaurants, unless you are really handsome and some nice female glues her eyes on you.
If you are going for any talking therapy, ask your wife to go with you in a few times.
Try compensating in some other life areas with your wife, if going out to eat is not your apple.
Do you remember if possibly your father/mother or any relative was harsh on giving you lesson on table manners, back when you'd been young child?

No heart attack will happen unless you shoving the food down your throat uncontrolably.

Pinch a tiny piece by piece of food, just so you are giving it a try and keep a pitcher of water by yourself or some juice. Neither me nor my son nor my mother, can eat without drinking while eating no matter where we are. At the same time, my husband and daughter don't need any liquid. So: keep a glass of something you like next to you: even if it comes down to you, more drinking than eating while out in restaurant. You tried your best to be there first, and comfortable eating will sit one day: sooner or later.
And, for Lorazepam: tappering needs to be really gradual and depend on what mg you were, it might take you six months to get off of it. If you didn't contact your dr. at least acknowledge h/er/im of your decisison of getting of Lorazepam.

Logged Logged

Imafoodgroup (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
I've got it also. I know what you mean. I have gone from anxiety about being there to simply no long eating out. I can't recall the last time I actually ate out.

But then my anxiety has been growing litle by little every day. My meds are not handling the increase in symptoms, but they are maxed out and my living arrangements causing this can not be changed. But back to your issues. My heart goes out to you. I don't know how I would handle this issue with a spouse. One thing that has helped me with other family members is to try to get them to understanding as much of this crap as they can.

I know the fear is not something you can put into words or point to a cause and say what or why you have this fear. It is extremely difficult for our loved ones to understand. Wish I some words of wisdom that could help you.

Logged Logged

Mike777 (User)
Watching Survivor
graphgraph
Thanks.. the other day we went to Culvers (Fast food) restaurant and I was fine. So it looks like it comes and goes. My wife on the other hand doesn't know how to deal with it. She wants me to see a Doctor. I been there done that I told her. Her anger with me is causing my anxiety to flare up more.

Today on TV i saw an info commercial on Attacking Anxiety and Depression by Lucinda Bassett. As they were going through the program I had the same things the other people went through and it turned their life around. So I ordered a trial for 30 days to see if it can work for me. I just had to pay shipping.

If it works, I will pay for it. It did look good and hopefully it can work for me.

Otherwise I think I will be ending up divorced as my wife is it wits end. Of course she wasn't on board with this but hey I need to try something different.

Wish me luck,

Mike

Logged Logged

Go to top

SHOUT!

Latest Message: 1 year, 9 months ago
  • tsuki : Welcome Steve, I have sent you a private message. Hope your day is going well Smile
  • Steve G : Can someone please tell me how to post a blog?
  • tsuki : Welcome to PS, Anara Smile
  • tsuki : Yes, sorry sad
  • Pro42 : Blogs are still down I see sad
  • tsuki : Thanks Draydon, Happy New Year to you too!
  • draydon : Happy New Year everyone!
  • tsuki : Enjoy the season!  May it be stress-free Smile
  • tsuki : I hope everyone had a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving celebration Smile
  • tsuki : Welcome Glitter! Sorry no one was here to chat.
Please Login to shout..

Who's Online

No Members Online.
Monday, 20 November 2017